Friday, September 28, 2012

Elizabeth I Sixpence

I would like to share with you one of my treasured possessions, a Tudor coin! It is an Elizabeth I sixpence from 1561.  This particular coin is hammered and this process was carried out at the Royal Mint within the Tower of London, commonly refereed to as the Tower Mint.

On the reverse side is the cross crosslet mark and the inscription POSVI DEV ADVITOREM MEVM - 'I have made God my helper'. In the centre is a shield quartered with the arms of England and France.



Sadly the obverse side is worn, but it would have shown a crowned image of the Queen facing left, wearing a ruff with a rose behind her, but you can clearly see the name ELIZABETH.



The fact that the coin is worn is part of its charm. I love to hold it and think about all those people that have held it before me and what they may have procured with it.

In the 16th Century sixpence was the equivalent to a days wages for country labour. It may have been exchanged for ale, bed and board, or even entertainment, such as a performance at the Globe Theatre.

The Old Globe - Wikkicommons
Sixpence would have afforded you one of the most expensive seats at the outdoor theatre built in 1599 by The Lord Chamberlain's Men whose resident playwright was of course, William Shakespeare. The wealthier theatre goers sat in the covered galleries or on the stage itself up close to the action. Then there was the yard or pit where a penny would buy you standing room only. These people were referred to as 'Penny Stinkards'!

Queen Elizabeth is depicted here in this Victorian painting enjoying a performance at The Globe, something that in reality would not have happened. Why go out to watch a play when you can have the theatre brought to you?

V&A Museum S.511-1985  - David Scott 1840

Whatever my coin my have been used for, I am glad it has survived its 450 year journey around England and has now found it's way safely to me to treasure for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. I treasure my Tudor coin as well and always remember the person who gave me it very warmly! Another great post Debbie.

    ReplyDelete